Welcome to another installment of the Oregon Brewery Running Series Podcast; Inspiring Oregonians to Get Active, Have Fun, and Give Back. We host family-friendly, 5K fun runs that start and end at some of Oregon’s best breweries.
This episode of the podcast was recorded live at the 3rd Annual Oregon Brewshed Alliance Brewfest on May 16th, 2018. We had a table at the event where everyone was there to celebrate “Oregon craft brews and the forest watersheds that make them possible!” Hosted by Brewshed® Partner McMenamins Kennedy School, over 30 local Oregon breweries and other businesses poured great brews and donated great raffle prizes for this great cause. We talked to several of the brewery reps, Marielle Cowden, (who heads the Alliance), as well as some volunteers and other partners. It’s a quirky little episode, but we think it will give you a fun sense for the event.
Remember, great beer begins with clean water!
Brewfest by the Numbers
- Attendees: 300+
- Breweries: 35
- Brews: 50
- Dollars raised: $5,500+ (not including the generous sponsorships from The Caputo Group and Crosby Hop Farm).
- 27 postcards: written to Governor Brown in support of Oregon Forest Practices Act reform. This program helps improve coastal watershed conditions and restrict clearcutting and aerial spray in coastal forests.
Brewshed Best 2018 Winners
- Coalition/Royale – 1st place for Marion Spring Pale Ale (Salmon-Safe ingredients from Goschie Farms and Mainstem Malt)
- Hopworks/Crosby – 2nd place for Rainy Falls River Beer (inspired by the Rogue, with salmon-safe hops from Crosby)
- Migration/Wolves & People – 3rd place for Riverain Grisette (inspired by riparian areas and brewed with local hay, nettles and mustard flowers harvested directly from the Wolves & People farm, along with salmon-safe Mainstem Malt)
A huge thank you to ALL of the breweries who were there, but especially: Ecliptic, Falling Sky, Ex Novo, Occidental, Crux, Uptown, Good Life, Base Camp, Fort George, Wolves & People, Migration, Baerlic, Widmer, Zoiglahaus, Stickmen, The Kennedy School, Phil and Alyssa from Mainstem Malt, all the volunteers, Mike, Mark, Ashley and Tom from Brewvana and of course, Marielle and the entire staff at Oregon Wild. We honestly do appreciate the work you’re doing to keep our wild places wild for the next generation.
The Oregon Brewery Running Series hosts untimed, family-friendly, 5K fun runs that start and end at some of Oregon’s best breweries. Register for our next run here! If you’d like to join us at one of our upcoming runs, register with promo code ORWILD20, and you’ll save 20% off your entry. Our theme music, The Oregon Song, is written and performed by James Hoffman.